Friday, February 10, 2012

Easy Peasy Pillows


Buying readymade pillows can be VERY expensive, so I decided to make mine.  The trick is to play the sales.  I bought my pillow forms from Joann’s when they were 50% off, so they were just $5 each for the 20 inch square forms.  The home décor fabric was 40% off and I bought 3 yards for $18.  And lastly, I needed piping, I bought 3 packages for $1.50 each.   All in all I spent $40 for three large pillows. Most of the large premade pillows I found were that price for one!

Ok… as promised, the directions for Easy Peasy Pillows:
With the fabric still folded over, cut three squares 20 inches wide by 20 inches tall (or however big your pillow form is).  With right sides facing in, pin your piping between the two layers.  The rounded side should face the inside of your pillow.  I like to start in the middle of one of the sides working towards the corners.  When you get to a corner, you have two choices: square or rounded.  I like rounded, but use your own discretion!

You will need to leave almost a full side open to fit the pillow form in.  On the last side that you need keep open I recommend machine sewing the piping down on one side; this will minimize the amount of hand sewing you will need to do.  When you finish your three sides and four corners flip the pillow right side out.  Insert the pillow form and pin the open sides together.  Using a ladder stitch hand sew the final side together.
See! Easy Peasy!

Total Cost: $40

No comments:

Post a Comment