Saturday, May 5, 2012

5 Minute Ombre dye T-Shirt



The first of many I am sure.  This was so easy to do and it only took 5 minutes!  I am seriously going to ombre dye everything I can find this summer.  I might be addicted.

Materials:
$5 Wal-Mart Cotton T-Shirt
RIT liquid Dye
1 Cup Salt

1)  Fill your sink with hot water.  I filled it with steaming hot tap water to about 5-6 inches deep.
2)  Wet your shirt in the water (the one you are dying, not the one you are wearing). Wring it out so it isn’t dripping, and lay it flat on the counter so there are no wrinkles.
3)  Pour in half the bottle of dye and one cup of salt.
4)  Stir until the salt is mixed in with the water.
5)  This part happens quick- dip your shirt in the dye up to the neckline being careful not to splash.  Slowly lift the shirt out of the dye; stopping just below the bust line.  Continue removing the shirt form the dye, pausing at the bottom of the shirt.
6)  Pull the stopper and let the dye drain out of the sink.
7)  Starting at the bottom, run warm water over the shirt moving your way up,  Keep rinsing until the water runs clean.
8)  Lay the shirt outside on a clothesline or flat on a spare towel until thoroughly dried.

Wear with pride!

Total cost: $7.50

1 comment:

  1. Um completely and totally amazing. I am sooooo doing this! I already have a thousand Rit dyes! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete